Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Possession

Well, I just came back from watching "The Possession," starring Jeffery Dean Morgan, of Watchmen & Grey's Anatomy fame, and Kyra Sedgwick, of The Closer & Married to Kevin Bacon fame.




Before watching this movie, I had a chat with a friend who is absolutely obsessed with the horror genre to see how he felt about the movie. I myself enjoy it occasionally. So you should keep in mind that I am in no way an expert on horror. (there will be spoilers if you care)
I came into this movie with an open mind as I do with any modern day horror. Since "The Descent" I had yet to see an entertaining and genuinely creepy film. The Possession however was...what comes before a "breath-of-fresh-air"? ...maybe a breath-of-lightly-smoggy-air? By that, I mean that there were many horror movie cliche's, but some of the details were unique as far as I'm concerned. First would be the fact that the spirit is of Jewish origin. Now I know that's not a big deal in any way, but it's definitely unique to this film, and introduces you to some new ideas about demonic possession. I mean I already feel like I can preform my own Christian exorcism with the amount of times I've seen it on screen. Another aspect I enjoyed were some of the "attacks" the spirit performed. Any time someone is pulled towards a wall at a high speed is fun. The MRI scene is pretty awesome as well. Never have I seen someone take a possessed child to a regular hospital for an MRI. It's usually some house-call doctor who is in over his head, so I enjoyed that scene. Finally, I enjoyed the actual exorcism sequence. Particularly the moment when "Em" (the possessed child) jumps off the exam table and does the popular "3 point landing" (Video below of some of the best 3 point landings).



As far as the story goes, It pretty much deals with a divorced couple who's daughter unknowingly buys this Dibbuk box (a box made to contain evil spirits) at a yard sale and opens it, thus becoming possessed. She slowly becomes more and more distant eventually allowing the spirit to take complete control. As you can see, it's not something you go and see for "the story." It's more about the spirit's effects on the outside world.

All I can say is that I was moderately entertained.

p.s. Coolest part of the film...Matisyahu cameo.

0 comments:

Post a Comment